“Self-Care is not about Indulgence, it is about Self-Preservation”
– Audry Lorde
As we begin autumn, we can feel the change, in the air, upon the earth around us, and in our minds and bodies. Fall is the season of transition both in nature and in our own biological systems. Our awareness of our thoughts and feelings is usually the first to alert us to that change taking place. Nature is tuning in as well and in response knows it’s time to begin preparing for winter, and we should too.
Fall is a time to nurture ourselves by slowing down, reflecting, renewing energy and taking time for vitally important self-care. It’s also a time to reach out for support with our self-care; using simplicity and ease to help ourselves. TFT can offer excellent protocols for self-care and our new Personal Healing Retreats provide you with the tools to help you stay healthy and balanced during this time of year, setting the tone for the colder months ahead. You can be balanced and peaceful during this coming Holiday Season.
Some of the simple focal points in self-care, both at home and in a retreat are:
- You are of value: self-care is necessary to remind yourself and others that you and your needs are important too. It produces positive feelings and boosts your confidence and self-esteem.
- A balanced lifestyle: Overwork and stress lead to exhaustion, making you less productive and emotionally and mentally drained. Many health problems, from anxiety and depression to insomnia and heart diseases, can be caused by stress. Regular tools for self-care like taking short breaks (getting out in nature), setting personal boundaries, limit overwhelm and help you stay energetic, motivated and healthy.
- Stress management: Daily self-care habits like regular tapping, eliminating toxins and eating healthy, connecting with loved ones, meditating and regular exercise reduces the toxic effects of stress. Just getting out in nature twice a week showed marked improvement in immune system responses.
- Enjoy life, live with passion: If you are not already living your purpose, begin finding that purpose. Live your life in a meaningful way for you. Even things like finding a new hobby or volunteering to help those in need can make your life more purposeful by giving you new meaning.
- Improved mental and physical health: Self-care is not just about your mental and emotional well-being. It’s also about caring for your physical self, by eating healthy, having adequate sleep, and exercising regularly.
We look at self-care in our retreats as identifying your needs and then taking the necessary steps to satisfy them. It is about being deliberate in taking the time for the betterment of your mind, body and soul. It can be the best gift you can give this coming holiday season.
Self-care is not about being selfish. It is about replenishing, nurturing and rejuvenating your mind, body and spirit in a multitude of ways.
If you’d like to experience the ultimate self-empowerment in a personal healing retreat on the beautiful “gold coast” of Costa Rica Nov. 29 – Dec. 3rd, click here for details.